Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rubberband Brayer Card

OK, the brayer - not a tool that I use much. So, I thought this would be a great class for my dd and I to take together. Well, I was right! Thanks to Kimm for giving me a great review of techniques I had forgotten about and for introducing some that I had never tried. Well, dd had some friends over and they were busy, so she missed the class. She did say she would like to try a card like this one later though. To do the background on this card, I sponged white c/s with Ballet Blue and Mint Melody - lightly. Then I stamped my images. Made masks for the images using my two-way glue pen so that they would stick and still be removable. Then I wrapped my rubber brayer with rubber bands. Inked the rubber banded brayer with Tempting Turquoise ink and rolled it over the c/s. To finish off the images, I added some Dazzling Diamonds glitter to the fish. Then mounted the stamped piece on coordinating c/s. What a fun technique! Another variation for this card would have been to skip the masking and cut the fish images out and mount them on the card using pop dots to really make them stand out.

Shimmering Shapes

The top card is mine and the bottom one is my daughter, Kaitlin's. We took the VC Shimmer Shapes class together. Thanks Michelle we had a good time and learned a new technique too. How much better could our day get! :) We took shimmery c/s (I didn't have any SU, so bought some similar at the craft store) and then took punched shapes - the circles - and swiped dye ink around the edges. We both used 3 differnet colors, but we could have used just one or two. After removing the cirles we stamped our images over top of the circles. Then I added yellow glitter to give mine a little glitz. Kaitlin skipped the glitter on hers. Then we mounted them on coordinating c/s. The only thing I think I would have done differently on mine is perhaps embossing the main flower image to make it stand out a little more. A fun technique and a nice whimsical card.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Vellum Boquets

This card turned out much better than I expected! The Vellum Boquets class during VC was taught by Skye DeWeez. I die cut the vellum circles out using my sizzix. I had a really hard time finding a glue that would hold the vellum circles in a cone shape, so to fix that I fired up my glue gun. It held them together perfectly and quickly. I will admit I am a little impatient and don't like to wait for things like glue, ink and paint to dry. I then hot glued them into a boquet shape on perfect plum c/s and added a ribbon to the bottom. The vellum was a shimmery white and a pink - not sure who makes either as they were also something from my stash. I'm not even sure any more what project I originally bought them for. :) then I stamped the flower which is from DD Toile Blossoms on pale plum and attached that to a piece of pretty in pink c/s. I embossed the thank you, which is from Wonderful Words, with pink EP. I don't think I will be able to send this through the mail, unless I send it in a box, but it would be nice to stick in a gift bag.
Watch for more projects that I complete during VC. This is the time that I stamp, stamp, and stamp some more. The VC classes are not only fun, but also give me a spark of creativity.

Altered Envelope

This is an Altered Envelope that I did with instructions from Diana Soling during a VC class. She has instructions to do this on her blog. I used a non-SU envelope and had to change some of the dimensions to cut the scrapbook paper that I used. I also used Watercolor Garden stampset with the friends stamp coming from Smorgasborders. I used more mustard, garden green and close to cocoa inks and card stock. The vanilla c/s is some that is textured and has been sitting around my stamp room for a long time - not sure where it came from. The scrapbook paper also was found in a bottom drawer and has been long ignored. So, this was a good project for it. This next picture is the inside of the the a.e. and I used the small daisy from the DD Daisy stampset.
And this last picture is the cards that go inside of the a.e. I used some fibers from my stash on the left one and the flower is punched from the Looks Like Spring punch (love that punch!). The flower eyelets on the second card also came from my stash and I'm not sure where they came from, but I thought a little red would add a little punch. I put the garden green c/s through my crimper to add a little texture too. I really enjoyed this project and can't wait to do another one!